Keyword Search
Filter by these locations:
Listing Type
Add this location
to my itinerary

Welland Mills

Top: Entrance on south side, existing stonework; Bottom left: Original millstone of Welland Mills; Bottom middle: Information plaque just off the parking lot; Bottom right: West side showing windows and stonework


The Welland Mills complex was believed to be one of Upper Canada's largest flour mills. The Welland Mills is an exceptional example of an early neo-classical industrial building with considerable architectural merit. It represents historical significance for both local connections and the development of the provincial merchant milling industry.


In form, proportion, material and design, it is an outstanding representation of a once prevalent tradition. The Welland Mills building is now occupied by four businesses. The building has been restored but maintains historical presence with old windows and door frames.


The limestone building was erected in 1846-47 by Jacob Keefer. Thomas Rodman Merritt (son of William Hamilton Merritt) owned a one-third interest in the Welland Mills in 1858. Names of note connected to the mill were Thomas C.Street, Oswald Zimmerman, Richard Miller, William Eccles, Hon. Sir Thomas Gait, William Cayley, Sylvester Neelon and John L. Spink.


Throughout its history the mill has had a series of prominent owners including the well-known Howland family, the Hedley Shaw Milling Co., and later the Maple Leaf Milling Company.


The Mill was constructed on the Second Welland Canal, a channel that has been filled in. It utilized that waterway as a source of power as well as a means of transportation.

Adjacent Land Uses

Residential housing; there is also a parking lot located across the street with a bank and grocery store. The Canadian Marine Officers Union is located just east of the building and the Thorold Licence Bureau to the southeast.




From Toronto:


Take QEW (Niagara)

Take exit 49 for ON 406 for Thorold/Welland/Port Colbourne  

Merge onto Kings Highway 406

Slight right at Kings highway 58(signs for Thorold/ON58/Niagara Falls)

Take the Pine Street Exit towards County Road 67

Left at Pine Street South

Slight left to stay on Pine Street South

Destination will be on the right.

From Buffalo, NY

Take the Peace Bridge to enter Canada (Ontario)

Continue on to Peace Bridge (toll road)

Continue on QEW

Take exit 32 for Thorold Stone road toward Thorold/County Road 57

Left at Thorold Stone Road

Continue onto King's Highway 58

Take the exit towards Pine street south

Right at Pine Street south

Slight left to stay on Pine Street South and destination will be on the right




TripClip Audio File



Further Reading


Information on Welland Mills heritage resource inventory and architectural survey of Thorold

Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Citizenship and Culture.


Venture Niagara


This page was prepared by Rob Munro and Ken Ho in December 2009.




Google Paths

Below is the path with destinations along the way

View interactive map and turn-by-turn directions


This building is now comprised of many small businesses which include, Edward Jones, Venture Niagara Enterprise Niagara, Thorold Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation


The Welland Mills
20 Pine Street North
Thorold, Ontario
L2V 0A1 Municipality Niagara Regional Municipality

GPS Co-ordinates

Latitude 43.126194
Longitude -79.20327

Please register or login to add your review to this article.
GPS Map Shoes Compas Travel Bag
  • No POIs selected
Niagara Original Logo