Keyword Search
Filter by these locations:
Not Published
Listing Type
Add this location
to my itinerary

Peter Secord Grist Mill

Caption large left image: Front of building; Caption top right image: Plaque Ontario Heritage Act Designated Building; Caption mid right Image: Back lot of the Old Grist Mill; Caption bottom right image: Low flow stream lower down on the property runs under newly constructed road. 


General Information


This English grist (flour) mill built on the Peter Secord farm during 1782-83 is the very first grist mill built in the town of Niagara-on-the-Lake and last one standing in all of Ontario.  Its architectural feautures like timber framework, stone basement, oak hurst, and its historical properties hold large heritage significance in Canada.  The Peter Secord Mill was designated under the Ontario Heritage Act, Part IV. 




The Peter Secord Gristmill was built and operated between 1782 and 1783 in the town of Niagara-on-the-lake. For the ten years after the gristmill opened in 1782, Peter Secord and his family worked on the property but despite his community efforts and his participation in mill development was not awarded the property. After peter left the area in 1793, the Mills were awarded to his name in 1796. His property was bought by brother James' son David in 1799.




Peter Secord moved to an important crossroads where the Iroquois Trail intersected with the trail along Four Mile Creek. The iroquois trail eventually became Regional Road 81 and stretched from Queenston through St Catharines to Hamilton. Peter wanted to build a sawmill and gristmill but because he did not own the land he had to ask the government for permission and was refused. The government then decided to construct the mills out of economic interest. They hired Lieutenant David Brass of Butler's Rangers to build a sawmill and gristmill to be operated by Peter Secord.  Of the two mills buillt, only the Secord gristmill survived.




Four Mile creek runs North/South directly behind the Peter Secord Grist Mill. Many natural areas have since been replaced by residential housing. The stream was largely influential to the production and reporduction of mills in the area.  


 Four Mile Creek near Peter Secord Grist Mill (Rob Munro / Ken Ho)




Photo Gallery


TripClip Audio File






From Buffalo:

Take the Peace Bridge to enter Canada (Ontario).


Continue onto King’s Highway 405(partial toll road).

Take the Stanley Ave exit toward Niagara Falls/County Road-102.

Left at Townline Road.

Continue onto Stam.-Niagara, Townline Road.

Right at Four Mile Creek Road and drive until you arrive at the residence on the right.

From Toronto:

Take QEW Niagara past Garden City Skyway in St. Catharines

Slight left at King’s Highway 405(signs for Lewiston U.S.A./Queenston/ON 405)

Take the Stanley Ave E exit toward County Rd-102/ Niagara Falls

Keep left and follow signs for Niagara Parkway

Left at Stanley Ave

Left onto Townline Road

Continue onto Stam-Niagara, Townline Road

Right at Four Mile Creek Road

Continue until you reach Peter Secord Grist Mill on the right



Further Information


Review of Peter Secord Grist Mill by Robert J. Miller, Society for the Presevation of Old Mills, Canadian Chapter, November 13, 2003. Day trips through the history of Southwest Ontario


Secord Family History 







Google Paths

Below is the path with destinations along the way

View interactive map and turn-by-turn directions

Ownership & Management

Bannister Family. Private Residence, not open to the public


Peter Secord Grist Mill
137 Four Mile Creek Road
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario
L0S 1J0

GPS Co-ordinates

Latitude 43.15256
Longitude -79.104283
UTM easting 654136
UTM northing 4779501

Please register or login to add your review to this article.
GPS Map Shoes Compas Travel Bag
  • No POIs selected
Niagara Original Logo